Sometimes authors go through several novel names before landing on one. Below are some examples of title "first drafts" of books whose names have become part of our culture.
Doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?
1. The Strike by Ayn Rand
2. The High-Bouncing Lover by F. Scott Fitzgerald
3. Atticus by Harper Lee
4. The Last Man In Europe by George Orwell
5. Fiesta by Ernest Hemingway
6. First Impressions by Jane Austin
7. Catch-11 by Joseph Heller
8. Mistress Mary by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I would imagine some of our slang would have been much different if some of these titles ended up getting published. Would we call a no-win situation a "Catch-11", you think? :)